- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Afghan Stitch Crochet Placemat and Coaster
Entertain in style with matching crochet placemats and coasters with sleek border and tailored bow detailing. Makes a thoughtful, handcrafted hostess gift! Materials and directions given make one placemat and one coaster.
Skill Level: Easy
Skill Level: Easy
- ch-chain; rep-repeat; sc-single crochet; st(s)-stitch(es); yo-yarn over
- Placemat: 10" (25 cm) wide x 15½" (39 cm) long
Coaster: 3¾" (9.5 cm) square
- #4 worsted weight yarn: we used Peaches & Creme (100% cotton), 2.5 oz (70.9 g), 120 yd (109 m) – 1 ball #1006 Ecru (A), 1 ball #1105 Soft Blue (B)
- Boye® Afghan crochet hook size K-10½ (6.5 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge
- 2 yd (1.8 m) ¼" double face satin ribbon in contrasting color
- Boye® hand sewing tapestry needle
- 13 sts & 16 rows = 4" (10 cm) in Tunisian Simple Stitch
Gauge is not critical for this project.
Afghan stitch has a tendency to curl; the placemat and coaster will lie flat once you add the edging.
Tunisian Simple Stitch
Work is done with right side facing at all times.
Row 1: Insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, yo and pull up a loop; *leaving loops on hook, insert hook in next ch, yo and pull up a loop; rep from * to end.
Row 2: Working back along row in opposite direction, yo and pull through 1 loop, *yo and pull through next 2 loops; rep from * across – 1 loop on hook.
Row 3: Skip first vertical bar, insert hook under next vertical bar, yo and pull up a loop; *insert hook under next vertical bar, yo and pull up a loop; rep from * to end.
Row 4: Rep Row 2.
Rep Rows 3 and 4 for desired length.
With A, ch 35. Work in Tunisian Simple Stitch until piece measures approximately 15" (38 cm).
Last row: Skip first vertical bar, slip st in each vertical bar across. Fasten off.
Rnd 1: With RS facing, join B in any st, ch 1, sc evenly around, placing 3 sc in each corner st, join with slip st to first sc.
Rnds 2 & 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, placing 3 sc in each corner st, join.
Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Thread tapestry needle with the ribbon and weave around the placemat. Tie ends into a bow. Trim ends, saving enough ribbon for coaster.
With A, ch 11. Work in Tunisian Simple Stitch until piece is square. Work edging and finish as for placemat.