- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Teaching Kit
Floral Embellished Slipper Socks
Designed by Ina Frye
Skill Level: Intermediate
Yarn Size: #4
beg - beginning; BO - bind off; cont - continue; ch - chain; CO - cast on; dc - double crochet; k - knit; k2tog-knit two together; p - purl; pm - place marker; psso - pass slipped stitch over; pu - pick up; rem - remain(s)(ing); rep - repeat; RH - right hand; rnd(s) - round(s); RS - right side; sl - slip; st(s) - stitch(es); sc - single crochet; st st - stockinette stitch; tr - treble crochet; WS - wrong side;
skp - slip 1, knit 1, pass slipped st over—1 st decreased.
SMALL (9") fits women’s sizes 6-7 1/2
MEDIUM (9 1/2") fits women’s sizes 8-8 1/2
LARGE (10") fits women’s sizes 9-10 or men’s 7-8
- Color A 2 balls #4 Worsted Weight Yarn 170 yds (156 meters)/3.5 oz (100 grams)
- Color B 1 ball #4 Worsted Weight Yarn 170 yds (156 meters)/3.5 oz (100 grams)
- Color C 1 oz. #4 Worsted Weight Yarn
- (Original model made using Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Yarn (92% acrylic/8% rayon), colors #107 Sapphire (A), #172 Kelly Green (B) and #141 Wild Berry (C))
Knitting Needles, size 7 (4.5 mm)or size needed to obtain gauge
Crochet Hook G/6 (4.25mm)
1 pair Boye® Suede Slipper Soles in appropriate size
2 cowrie shells or decorative buttons
#22 tapestry needle, stitch markers, stitch holder
20 sts and 28 rows = 4 inches (10 cm) in stockinette st. *Take time to check gauge.*
Surface chain - Holding yarn on WS, insert hook from RS to WS and draw up a loop; *with loop on hook insert hook again from RS to WS and draw up a loop through loop on hook, forming a chain; repeat from * as directed. To fasten off, cut yarn and pull tail to RS; thread tapestry needle and insert needle from RS to WS over last chain-loop.
KNITTED SOCK (Make 2)
CO 46 (50, 50) sts loosely, leaving 20" for sewing side seam.
- Begin rib pattern, Row 1 Sl 1, p1, *k1, p1; rep from * across.
- Rep Row 1 for 9".
K20 (22, 22) sts, place rem 26 (28, 28) sts on holder for instep. Work heel flap in St st (k RS rows, p WS rows) for 2 3/4 (3, 3)", ending with a WS row. Bind off next (knit) row tightly—1 st rem.
Gusset and Instep
With RS facing, pu 9 (11, 11) sts along inside edge of heel flap—10 (12, 12) sts. K2 from holder, pm, work in rib pattern across 22 (24, 24) sts from holder, pm, k2 from holder, turn. CO 10 (12, 12) sts for opposite gusset—46 (52, 52) sts.
- Shape gussets
- Row 1 (WS) Sl 1, p to marker, work in established rib to next marker, p to end.
- Row 2 (RS) Sl 1, k to 2 sts before marker, k2tog, rib to next marker; skp, k to end—44 (50, 50) sts.
- Rep previous 2 rows 5 (7, 7) times more—34 (36, 36) sts. Rep Row 1 once more.
- Row 1 (RS) Sl 1, (p1, k1) 2 times, p1, sl marker, skp, k to 2 sts before next marker, k2tog, (p1, k1) 3 times—32 (34, 34) sts.
- Row 2 Rib to marker, p to next marker, rib to end.
- Rep previous 2 rows 3 (3, 2) times more—26 (28, 30) sts.
- Row 1 Sl 1, rib to marker, k to next marker, rib to end.
- Row 2 Sl 1, rib to marker, p to next marker, rib to end.
- Rep these 2 rows until sock measures 7 (7 1/2, 8)" from beg of gusset shaping, end with WS row.
- Shape Toe
- Row 1 (RS) Sl 1, rib to marker, (skp) 2 times, k to 4 sts before marker, (k2tog) 2 times, rib to end—22 (24, 26) sts.
- Row 2 (WS) Sl 1, rib to marker, p to next marker, rib to end.
- Rep previous 2 rows once more, remove markers after last row—18 (20, 22) sts.
- Row 5 Sl 1, rib 3 sts, (skp) twice, k to last 8 sts, (k2tog) twice, rib to end—14 (16, 18) sts.
- Row 6 Sl 1, rib 3 sts, p to last 4 sts, rib to end.
- Row 7 (Skp) 2 times, k to last 4 sts, (k2tog) 3 times—10 (12, 14) sts.
- BO all sts in purl.
- Note: In row 1 keep sl st edge of slipper sock and bound-off edge of heel free for attaching slipper sock to slipper sole.
- Row 1 With RS facing and B, join yarn at cast off edge of heel and sc evenly in a multiple of 3 around edge of slipper sock to opposite gusset, turn.
- Row 2 (WS) Ch 1, *(sc, 3 dc, sc) in next sc, sl st in next 2 sc; rep from * around. Fasten off.
With C, work surface chain from toe to 4" below top of cuff, forming a wavy line.
- Leaf (make 6)
- With B, ch 2.
- Row 1 Sc in 2nd ch from hook, turn.
- Row 2 Ch 1, 2 sc in next sc, turn—2 sc.
- Row 3 Ch 1, sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, turn—3 sc.
- Row 4 & 5 Ch 1, sc to last st, 2 sc in last st, turn—5 sc.
- Row 6-8 Ch 1, skip 1 sc, sc to end, turn—2 sc.
- Row 9 Ch 1, skip 1 sc, sc in next sc. Fasten off.
Attach Leaf to Slipper Sock
Place WS of leaf on RS of slipper sock with beg of leaf touching desired spot on vine. Working through both the edge of the leaf and the sock, work surface chain around edge of leaf to attach leaf to sock and form leaf border. Fasten off. Rep for additional leaves.
- Flower (make 2)
- Row 1 With C, ch 3, 11 dc in third ch from hook; join with sl st in top of beg ch-3—12 dc.
- Row 2 Ch 1, (sc, tr, ch 2, sc) in each st around, sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
- Attach yarn to any dc post of row 1, ch 1. Sc in each dc post around, sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
- Fold cuff down and sew flower to front of cuff. Sew button to center of flower.
With tapestry needle, seam cuff, heel and gusset, Center heel on back seam of sole bottom with center of toe to front of sole, fitted to the inside of the sole sides. Pin evenly around. With tapestry needle, whipstitch slipper top to sole.
Slipper sock soles are hand washable with mild detergent. Consider the yarn you used to make your slipper socks before washing. After washing and rinsing, gently squeeze out excess water. Stuff with clean paper or cloth to retain shape. Allow to air dry.