- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Teaching Kit
Flowers for Mama Table Runnerby Darlene Zimmerman
Set a festive table for any season with this beautiful table runner featuring a classic flower pattern, using the EZ Quilting® Tri-Recs™ and Companion Angle™ tools.
17 ½" x 42" – 8" and 4" blocks
Background – 1/3 yard
Large Flowers – 3 coordinating fat eighths
Small Flowers – 3 coordinating fat eighths OR three coordinating strips, each measuring 3" x 21"
Border and Binding – 1/2 yard
Backing – 5/8 yard
Batting – 21" x 44"
|Background (white in photo)||1 – 4 ½" x 42"
1 – 3 ½" x 42"
1 – 2 ½" x 42"
|12 pairs of Recs triangles*
8 Companion Angle™ triangles
16 pairs of Recs triangles*
|Each Large Flower Print (blue in photo)||1 – 4 ½" x 21"||4 Tri triangles|
|Each Small Flower Print (yellow in photo)||1 – 2 ½" x 21"||4 Tri triangles|
|Border and Binding Print||3 – 3 ¼" x 42"
3 – 2 ½" x 42"
*Cutting Note: Be sure to accurately trim off the small corner on the Recs triangles, the "magic angle". This is your placement guide for sewing.
Assembling the Flowers:
Note: Sew an exact ¼" seam allowance to ensure that all units will be square when finished.
- Lay out the Tri-Recs™ units as shown. Place the right hand small triangle (Recs) with right sides together with the large print triangle (Tri) with the cut off "magic angle" aligned with the bottom of the large Tri triangle. Sew, and then press toward the small triangle. Repeat on opposite side. Press. Make 12 large Tri-Recs™ units.
- Sew four matching units from step 1 together to make a flower block. Twist the center seam to pop a few threads so the block lays flat. Press. Make 3 more large flower blocks. At this point each block measures 8 ½" square.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 with to make the small print triangles to make 4 small flower blocks. Each block should measure 4 ½" square.
Assembling the Table Runner:
- Sew the background triangles to adjacent edges of the small flower blocks. Press away from the blocks. Makes 4 units.
- Sew the units together in rows as shown, matching and pinning at seam intersections. Press the seams open.
- Join the rows, matching and pinning at seam intersections. Press the seams open. Trim the long edges of the table runner straight, leaving at least ¼" seam allowance from the corner of the blocks.
- Trim two border lengths a bit longer than the long edge of the table runner. Sew. Repeat for the opposite long side. Press toward the borders. Trim off excess at ends along the diagonal edge of the table runner.
- Sew another border length to one short side. Press and trim as before. Repeat on the opposite end of the table runner. Repeat with the last border lengths on the last edge of the table runner. Press and trim as before.
Finishing the Quilt:
Layer, quilt as desired and bind the edges with the 2 ¼" binding strips joined with diagonal seams pressed open. Press the binding in half, with wrong sides together. Sew to the table runner with a ¼" seam. Trim excess batting and backing. Turn the binding to the back side and stitch down by hand with matching thread.