- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Single Seam Dress
As seen in Jo-Ann© FASHIONfusion Magazine
Pre-shirred, elasticized fabric is the secret behind this super-easy dress that's ready to go in an hour! Shimmering taffeta is perfect for that special occasion, or choose a pretty cotton print for daytime wear. Available at Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores®
- Pre-shirred, elasticized fabric – determine yardage needed based off of body measurement. See Instructions Step 1.
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Hand sewing needle
- Optional: 2 yards of 1/2" to 5/8" wide ribbon
- Measure the bust or chest, measuring all around. Subtract 1" from this body measurement. This is the amount of yardage you will need. When purchasing fabric be sure to measure from the SHIRRED side of the fabric to purchase the correct yardage.
- With the RIGHT sides of the fabric facing each other, match the long cut edges of the fabric and pin together, forming a tube. Stitch together in a 1/2" seam.
Press seam open.
- Hem the dress to the length desired.
- Cut the ribbon in four equal lengths, each measuring 18" long.
- Try on dress. Place one ribbon at each shoulder front, and one ribbon at each corresponding shoulder back. Pin each ribbon to the WRONG side of the dress bodice.
- Hand stitch straps securely in place.
- Try on dress again and tie ribbons into bows, forming shoulder straps. Hand tack bows together to secure. Trim off excess ribbon.