- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Frilly Fringed Mittens
Sugar and spice and everything nice – little girls will love these pretty mittens sewn in warm cozy fleece with cotton-candy sweet fringe and novelty braid Simplicity trims
You Will Need:
- 3/8 Yard of Fleece Fabric
- 1/2 Yard of 3/8" Elastic
- Straight Pins
- Matching Thread
- 1 ½ Yards of Hot Pink Stretch Fringe - we used Simplicity trim 1863351
- 1 Yard of Light Pink Stretch Fringe - we used Simplicity trim 1863353
- 1 Yard of Novelty Braid – we used Simplicity trim 1863147001
- Mitten Pattern « click here to download pattern in pdf format, which will print on three sheets of 8 ½" X 11" paper
- Cut two mitten fronts from fleece.
- Cut two mitten backs from fleece.
- Cut two mitten thumbs from fleece.
- Cut two strips of elastic according to the elastic guide given on the pattern.
NOTE – stitch all seams in a 3/8" seam allowance, unless otherwise specified.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin mitten front to back, matching large dots and single notches. Stitch seam from lower edge to side edge. Clip curves.
- On INSIDE, stitch center of elastic along stitching line, having ends even with raw edges and stretching elastic as you stitch.
- Fold thumb in half, with RIGHT sides together, matching small and large dots. Stitch between small and large dots. Back-stitch at dots to reinforce seam. Trim seam.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin thumb to mitten front, matching large dots and single notches. Stitch from lower edge to large dot. Back-stitch at large dot to reinforce seam. Trim seam.
- Turn up hem of mitten 5/8". On INSIDE, stitch close to raw edge of hem, sewing through all thicknesses.
- Pin one row of hot pink fringe along hem stitching and stitch in place, sewing along fringe heading.
- Pin one row of light pink fringe over first row, allowing some of the hot pink fringe to show from underneath. Stitch in place, sewing along fringe heading.
- Pin a second row of hot pink fringe over second row, allowing some of the light pink fringe to show from underneath. Stitch in place, sewing along fringe heading.
- Pin a row of novelty braid over the heading of the third row of fringe, covering the heading. Stitch in place.