- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
Happy Frog Mittens
It isn't easy being green, unless you're wearing these adorable frog mittens sewn from super-fun tie-dye-printed fleece. Sew a pair and put a smile on any child's face!
You Will Need:
- 3/8 Yard of Green Fleece Fabric
- Scrap of White Felt Fabric
- Scrap of Black Felt Fabric
- 1/2 Yard of 3/8" Elastic
- Straight Pins
- Matching Thread
- Black Embroidery Floss and Needle or Black Fabric Paint
- Mitten Pattern « click here to download pattern in pdf format, which will print on three sheets of 8 ½" X 11" paper
- Cut two mitten fronts from green fleece.
- Cut two mitten backs from green fleece.
- Cut two mitten thumbs from green fleece.
- Cut two strips of elastic according to the elastic guide given on the pattern.
- For the frog eyes, cut two eyes each from green fleece and white felt. Cut two eye pupils from black felt.
NOTE – stitch all seams in a 3/8" seam allowance, unless otherwise specified.
- Prepare each frog eye as follows:
a. Layer white felt eye over WRONG side of green fleece eye, matching cut edges. Edge stitch together, sewing along the outer edge.
b. Layer black felt pupil over white side of eye, matching bottom cut edges. Edge stitch pupil to eye, sewing along the outer edge of the pupil.
c. Position eyes with the white/black side of the eyes placed on the RIGHT side of the mitten front and matching the bottom of each eye with the upper cut edge of the mitten front.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin mitten front to back, matching large dots and single notches and encasing the eyes in between. Stitch seam from lower edge to side edge. Clip curves.
- On INSIDE, stitch center of elastic along stitching line, having ends even with raw edges and stretching elastic as you stitch.
- Fold thumb in half, with RIGHT sides together, matching small and large dots. Stitch between small and large dots. Back-stitch at dots to reinforce seam. Trim seam.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin thumb to mitten front, matching large dots and single notches. Stitch from lower edge to large dot. Back-stitch at large dot to reinforce seam. Trim seam.
- Turn up hem of mitten 5/8". On INSIDE, stitch close to raw edge of hem, sewing through all thicknesses.
- Turn mitten RIGHT side out. Use embroidery floss or fabric paint to draw the remainder of the frog face, as shown in photo.