- Knitting and Crochet
- Home Decor
- Tools for Teachers
- Teaching Kit
SUEDEsays™ . . . Make Edgy Mittens
You Will Need:
- ¼ Yard of Fleece or Double Knit Fabric
- 8" x 8" Square of Contrasting Fleece Fabric
- Straight Pins
- Matching Thread
- 8" Length of 2" wide Project Runway Plastic Pyramid Chain Trim 1861272
- Mitten Pattern « click here to download pattern in pdf format, which will print on one sheets of 8 ½" X 11" paper
- From fleece or double knit fabric, cut four mitten pieces.
- Fold contrasting fleece in half LENGTHWISE and cut along fold to get two pieces of fleece, each measuring 8" long by 4" wide.
- Cut trim LENGTHWISE, forming three strips of trim each measuring 8" long by 2 two pyramid studs wide.
- With RIGHT sides together, pin two mitten section together, matching cut edges and single notches. Stitch in a 5/8" seam, leaving an opening between the two small dots. Back-stitch at the dots to reinforce the seam. Press to blend stitches and press seam open.
- On RIGHT side, top-stitch ¼" from each side of the seam. If you prefer, trim seam allowance close to stitching. Prepare second mitten in the same manner.
- Turn under ¾" hem allowances on top and bottom of each mitten and machine stitch in place.
- With RIGHT side facing you, lay the mittens on a flat surface so that the thumb openings are both at the top. Place one strip of contrasting fleece to the RIGHT of the seam of one mitten, lining up the cut edge with the seam. Pin in place. Place the other strip of fleece to the LEFT of the seam of the second mitten, lining up the cut edge with the seam. Pin in place.
- Stitch the fleece strips to each mitten as follows: sew one row of LENGTHWISE stitches 1 ½" from one cut edge of the strip. Sew the second row of LENGTHWISE stitches 1 ½" from the opposite cut edge of the strip. The space between these two parallel rows should measure 1".
- Lay a strip of trim up the center of the strip, in between the rows of stitching. Hand tack securely in place.
- With sharp scissors, clip the strip at ¼" intervals on either side of the trim, to create fringe. Pull fringe ends to stretch slightly, for a curled effect.
- With RIGHT sides together, stitch remaining seam of mitten, forming a tube. Press stitches to blend and press seam open.